My mum is a Cantonese, and Cantonese can cook soup really well! They love to boil soup and serve the family as they think that drinking soup is nutritious. I have been used to drinking soup since young, and now being a mother, I would love to give the best to my kids too!
My elder kid is an ultra picky eater, so during weekends when I am off, I will try to cook some nutritious soup for her to nourish her body for the week ahead.
Lotus root soup is one of the simplest way to strengthen the body and it also will improve appetite. It is easy because basically, you just need to cut the lotus roots and throw all the ingredients into a pot of soup, and boil !
- One lotus root
- Pork Ribs 300-500 gram (if you want more flavouful, add more meat)
- Dried cuttlefish
- Dried Oysters
- Dried Mushrooms
- Dried scallops (I did not add in this recipe)
- Red dates ( I did not add in this recipe)
- I have this unsure ingredient in the picture below can anyone enlighten me. It was given by my mil and she did not tell me what’s the name haha~
- Boil pork ribs in water. Remove scum and set aside.
- Wash all the other ingredients.
- Cut the stem of mushrooms and soak in water for 15 minutes
- Boil a pot of 1.5-2.5L of water. Usually I will add all ingredients in and then measure water to fill up all the ingredients
- High boil for 15 minutes, simmer on low fire for 2.5 to 3 hours
- Add salt to taste ( I usually omit salt as it is flavorful enough with all the ingredients inside)